Trucks, including semi-trucks and 18-wheelers, ply extensively on the roads of Los Angeles. While essential for logistics, these massive vehicles are also responsible for some of the shocking road mishaps in California. When injured in a truck accident, you must take a proactive stance and start working on your claim to recover a settlement. If you are overwhelmed with the financial outcome and wondering whether you need a Los Angeles truck accident attorney, we have enlisted six evident reasons to do so.
- You have suffered catastrophic injuries. Because commercial trucks are huge and often overloaded, accidents often result in devastating outcomes for those in passenger vehicles. If you have endured injuries like multiple fractures, disfigurement, or any permanent damage, you need to talk to a lawyer.
- You have no clue what to do next. It is okay to feel dazed after a truck accident. When you are unsure of the next move, you need a legal team that can lead the way. Lawyers can evaluate the circumstances and give you a list of options you can consider.
- Things are time-sensitive. If you don’t work on gathering evidence right away, you may lose critical information. Given that you need time to recover, you should engage an attorney without any delay so that they can work on the case.
- You have two years to file a lawsuit. Sometimes insurance negotiations are insufficient, or the offer could be so low that your expenses are unlikely to be covered. In such situations, you may need to file a direct civil lawsuit, for which you have a two-year deadline according to the statute of limitations in California.
- There is no clarity on fault. Besides the driver, the trucking company, the vehicle manufacturer, or even the loading or maintenance service could be liable for your losses. You need a lawyer who can gather relevant info and determine fault and liability.
- You need help with understanding the worth of your claim. Your damages should cover all losses, including lost current and future income, the cost of long-term treatment, and other expenses. Hiring an attorney is your best bet if you don’t know what to expect in a settlement.
Finally, you also need to seek a lawyer’s help when you cannot settle things on your own. Let an attorney be your voice because the insurance company is not working for you.