Gambling is one of the popular ways to pass the time among people across the world. People have practiced gambling since ancient times. With time, this area was developing, while many land-based venues were established across the world. However, gambling is an issue that is connected with risks and dangers, which made certain countries restrict activity and business. In our article, we will observe the states, where all sorts of gambling are completely prohibited.
Why to prohibit gambling?
Despite the growing popularity of the area, certain jurisdictions still have a decision to prohibit gambling. There’re countries, where the issue is partially prohibited. It means that, for instance, land-based gaming facilities are not allowed, while Internet casinos are legal. In other states, gambling is completely prohibited.
There’re several reasons for governments to restrict gambling:
|It leads to financial problems||When people start playing, they always hope to win. However, not everyone understands that the prize is guaranteed. When people begin gambling for the sake of additional income, it leads to losses and disappointments. Such punters might start chasing losses and experience great financial problems.|
|Psychological problems||We might feel happy when winning. However, we get upset when losing. The perception greatly depends on individual qualities. And it’s a frequent case when people become depressed and stop controlling their lives.|
|Compulsive gambling||In the worst situation, irresponsible gambling leads to the development of addiction. Punters with addiction feel a constant desire to keep betting in order to win more. And it continues even in cases of losses. Compulsive gamblers are more liable to various disorders, financial problems, they ruin their families, lose jobs, etc.|
What’s more, there’re many cases when teenagers start playing casino games and experience various kinds of troubles. With gambling activity fully banned, the authorities hope for a decrease in teen gambling. In addition, there’re many countries, which prohibit gambling due to their religious beliefs (such as Islamic states with their strict laws).
Psychological influence of gambling
Gambling is a very influential issue. Its impact is very close to that of alcohol and drugs. When playing, the punters’ brains release dopamine – a neurotransmitter, which makes us feel excited. The same reaction is observed as a result of both winnings and losses. As a result, there’s a basis for the development of addiction, especially in people who:
- Suffer from various mental disorders (such as OCD, ADHD, bipolar disorder, etc.)
- Experience the influence of family/friends (when people around you are problems gamblers, the risks to become one become higher)
- Have definite traits of character (punters who are competitive, restless, and impulsive are more liable to addiction)
- Take special medicines (there’re drugs, which have side effects that result in the development of compulsive behaviors).
These are risk factors. However, there’s no guarantee that a person without them will never become addicted.
Countries where gambling is banned
Before traveling to various world countries, every punter should know the laws concerning gambling. Look at the list of countries, where the industry is strictly prohibited:
- The UAE. The truth is that iGaming is banned in the majority of Islamic states. However, while in certain countries, Internet gambling isn’t restricted by law, the situation in the UAE is different. In this country, any possible type of gambling is banned. If someone is caught gambling, he/she might go to jail. What’s more, the authorities strictly prevent any access to Internet casinos for the residents.
- North Korea. It’s another territory with quite strict laws, especially for the residents. Thus, any type of gambling is strictly prohibited for the people of N. Korea. There’s the only exception for the tourists. They are allowed to book a tour to Pyongyang, where the only gaming venue in the country is situated.
- Cambodia. While it’s allowed to establish various gaming facilities on the territory of the state, gambling is still banned for the locals. The activity is legally allowed only for visitors to the country, which is connected with the influence of gambling addiction on the history of Cambodia.
- Syria. It’s another strict Muslim country, where both land-based and Internet gambling activities are banned. The last casino was closed in 2012 because of the civil war. While Internet gambling is not allowed, the authorities don’t prosecute people playing online at foreign-based casinos.
- Cuba. In contrast with many communist countries, which earn money from tourists who gamble, Cuba is different. They’re no land-based venues available on the territory. Besides, Internet gambling is also banned. Because the Internet connection is centralized and controlled, residents should avoid trying to play online. At the same time, visitors can have unrestricted access to various websites.
- Qatar. It’s possibly the strictest of all the described countries in what concerns gambling. Any possible type of gambling is illegal. Punters won’t find lotteries, sports betting options, online bingo for real money, or any other varieties of gambling on the territory of the state. The issue of underground gambling is prospering there. However, those who get caught will have to face the consequences.
- Singapore. All gambling varieties are banned as a result of the Singapore act called RGA. The exceptions might be only in the case special permissions are issued. And there’re a few venues, which have the monopoly right to operate on the territory – Singapore Turf Club & The Singapore Pools. As for any other businesses connected with gambling and iGaming, they are illegal.
Every country has the right to decide, whether it’s reasonable to restrict or fully ban any type of gambling activity. More countries today try to find a way out and take control of the industry by the provision of security and encouragement of people to play responsibly. And still, there’re territories, where gambling is strictly prohibited. It’s better to know such states and the possible consequences of law violation before visiting them.